How it works:
- You may encounter this as long as you are on the road, regardless if you are being driven on a bus/cab or driving your own car. Note that even locals are not spared.
- A traffic police officer will accuse you of a crime and then demand a fine. If you were to pay it to him, it would be much cheaper than if he was to haul you to the police station.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.