How it works:
- Opening: as you walk near tourist attractions or near medinas, a local will latch on to you and try to give you directions (claiming a path is closed) or a tour.
- Set-up: if you follow him, you will end up at a shop where he gets a commission. At the end, he will also demand a fee for his “tour guide” services.
Places to beware:
- Kairouan: Medina of Kairouan
- Tunis: Medina of Tunis, Avenue Bourguiba, Bardo Museum
What to do:
- Decline. If you want a guide, get a licensed, reputable tour operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?