How it works:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Street, medina, market, park, transportation hub: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Metro/streetcar: snatching and getting out just before the doors close.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. Medina of Tunis)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.