How it works:
- Opening: a friendly local offers to show you around or just starts to follow you and points out places of interest along the way.
- Set-up: even though it is unsolicited, the guide will still demand an inflated tip. He will also pressure you to head to shops/restaurants where he gets a commission.
Places to beware:
- Arusha: Central Market
- Dar es Salaam: Kivukoni Fish Market
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides – test them for a minute before committing. In general however, they are not worth it.
- If you want a guide, get one who is authorised by the Commission for Tourism – they will have an identity badge.