How it works:
- There is a fake bus scam for those travelling out of Mbeya to Lilongwe in Malawi.
- At the main bus station in Mbeya, brochure flashing touts will offer you bus tickets to different Malawian cities. One scam group even has an office there!
- They will put you on a dala-dala (mini-bus) that gets you to the border where your bus to Malawi is supposedly at but upon reaching, there is no such bus!
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Step 1: get to the Nane Nane station on Highway A104 (10 km from Mbeya). The buses that go to the Malawian border are here.
- Step 2: take a bus to to Kyela (5000 TZS). Let the driver know you are going to Ipinda station or Malawi and he will assist you.
- Step 3: from Ipinda, you can use a moto taxi or walk 1 km to the border.