How it works:
- Organized gangs working with unlicensed taxi drivers drive you to ATMs to withdraw cash.
- You may be held for more than a day if your account has a daily withdrawal limit.
Places to beware:
- Dar es Salaam: ferry, bus and train terminals, Coco Beach
- Zanzibar: Stone Town
What to do:
- Take official taxis: yellow number plates in Zanzibar; white number plates in the mainland; taxis affiliated to reliable hotels or at taxi stands; radio taxi.
- Bank account: keep a separate one just for traveling with not much cash which you can give up if threatened.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.