How it works:
- Opening: flagging you down, then robbing you or your car.
- Version 1: objects/debris placed in the middle of the road to get you to stop.
- Version 2: flagging you down claiming a problem with your car (e.g. a flat tire).
- Version 3: setting up fake police roadblocks.
- Version 4: someone jumping out in front of your car.
Places to beware:
- Borders with Burundi and Rwanda
- Between Tanga and Kenyan border
- Between Julius Nyerere International Airport and Dar es Salaam
- Coco Beach area of Touré Drive on Msasani Peninsula
- Highways between Morogoro and Mikumi; between Chalinze and Segera
What to do:
- Stop: a distance away and if there are really any problems with your car, call your rental company for advice.
- Valuables: use a cheap spare wallet with some cash inside which you can give up if threatened.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.