How it works:
- Unofficial guides at tourist attractions are a dime a dozen around the world.
- However, in South Africa, some of these you find at national parks are actually robbers – they bring you to a secluded part of the trail where their accomplices lie in wait to rob you.
Places to beware:
- Cape Town: Table Mountain
- Drakensberg: Drakensberg Mountains
What to do:
- When going on hikes, make sure to engage a licensed tour guide/operator:
- Offline operators: ask – is the operator licensed with Association of Southern African Travel Agents (Asata)? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover – is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Table Mountain, Cape Point and Penguin Explorer, Township and Robben Island tour, etc).