How it works:
- Version 1: official taxis have meters but some may refuse to use it and charge you an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: if the meter is used, the driver can take a detour or a longer route to inflate the fare.
Places to beware:
- Cape Town: Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, hotels, airports, transportation hubs
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Cape Town: Victoria & Alfred Waterfront).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. Uber).
- Longhauling: be very clear when communicating your destination. Check your phone’s GPS to see if you are headed in the correct direction, though detours may be taken to avoid jams.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has 10+ transport options.