How it works:
- Some of the main airports here are known for luggage thefts.
- After you check your bags in, or wait to collect them, baggage handlers may go through the contents and remove valuable items.
Places to beware:
- Cape Town: Cape Town International Airport
- Johannesburg: OR Tambo International Airport
What to do:
- Luggage: use one with reinforced zippers, as a pen can break zippers of most luggage. Add another layer of deterrence with a portable lock/strap.
- Valuables: store in an anti-theft bag with you instead of in your luggage (easy to break into).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.