How it works:
- Version 1: scammers posing as fake police stop you on the streets and ask for your visa and passport. They then hold them hostage while accusing you of an offence and demanding a fine.
- Version 2: there are scammers who claim to be tourist police – note that there is no tourist police in South Africa.
- Version 3: there are criminals who pose as traffic police and set up fake roadblocks to do a pull over carjacking.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport – only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.