How it works:
- Corrupt traffic police officers will accuse you of a crime and demand you pay a bribe.
- One such hotspot is near Kruger on the Panorama route, as many tourists pass by here to access the Blyde River Canyon, God’s Window and Bourke’s Luck Pot Holes.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. near Kruger on the Panorama route)
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.