How it works:
- Set-up: signalling you to pull over (ways below) and then robbing you or stealing your car.
- Version 1: posing as traffic police and setting up fake checkpoints.
- Version 2: claiming a problem with your car.
- Version 3: placing debris in the middle of the road.
- Version 4: pretending that you have damaged their car.
- Version 5: appearing to be in need of assistance.
Places to beware:
- Cape Town: Greenpoint, Salt River, Seapoint, Mowbray, Observatory; Northern parts (e.g. Johannesburg, Pretoria); rural areas at night
What to do:
- Stop: a distance away and if there are any problems with your car, call your rental company for advice.
- Valuables: use a cheap spare wallet with some cash inside which you can give up if threatened.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.