How it works:
- This is not technically a scam, but the intention to mislead and to grossly overcharge may be deemed as one. Note that the government has NO single affiliated agent authorized to apply for a visa on your behalf.
- While trying to apply for a visa online, you may encounter sites which pass themselves off as the actual government site really well. What really happens is that they will pass on your application to the actual government site anyway and charge you 2-3x the actual price (no refunds) and take longer than the actual process. Whatever promises made (e.g. 24/7 customer hotline) will likely not be fulfilled as well.
- Watch out for red flags such as prices not being shown as well as a missing contact number or a contact number that is not located in Rwanda.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Go to the actual government site which will have .gov in the link: https://www.migration.gov.rw/index.php?id=203
- Note that since 1 Jan 2018, citizens of all countries are allowed to get visa upon arrival without prior application – this could be an option if you do not trust online applications.