How it works:
- Overview: besides certain hotspots/no-go zones (e.g. borders with DRC), Rwanda is actually one of the safest countries in Africa. That said, no crime does not mean no crime, so although uncommon, do watch out for opportunistic pickpockets at crowded places.
- The standard modus operandi: they work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Kigali: Kimironko Market, bus stations, markets
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.