How it works:
- Version 1: charging an inflated flat fare instead of using the meter.
- Version 2: claiming fare is for each person rather than per vehicle; jacking up initially agree upon fare by suddenly showing you an “official” looking charge sheet.
- Version 3: bringing you to shops where they get a cut instead of your destination.
- Version 4: asking you to pay in advance for a round trip only to disappear later.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots (e.g. Jardin Majorelle, Bahia Palace, Medina of Tangier).
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: ensure meter is turned on or research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators, your hotel/hostel staff or taxi booking apps (e.g. eCab, Uber, taxi.eu).
- Do not: pay upfront or follow their recommendations.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has 30+ other transport options.