How it works:
- Opening: a scammer tells you that the place you are going is closed or that you are going the wrong way. Another accomplice acting as a passerby tells you the same thing. He then offers to bring you to a tannery or a “Berber Market”, claiming it’s free or it is a special day to visit.
- Set-up: there, the lingering smell and many small roads akin to a maze may mess with your senses. You will be brought to shops and subject to high pressures sales tactics. The owner may also offer to give you a tour of the tannery for free. However, if you do not buy anything from his shop, he will charge you for the “tour”.
Places to beware:
- Fes: Medina of Fez, Chouara Tannery
- Marrakech: Ben Youssef Madrasa, Medina of Marrakesh, Jemaa El-Fnaa, Photography Museum of Marrakech, El Badi Palace
What to do:
- Decline help. If caught, create a commotion, threaten to call the police, or pay them off with 20 dirham.