How it works:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Street, market, medina, park, transportation hub: distract and snatching from you, then running into a getaway car or into a corner street to escape.
- Car/taxi: smashing your window and snatching your valuables at traffic lights or in crowded traffic.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (majority of crimes reported in Marrakech, followed by Casablanca, Tangier, Fez, and Rabat)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.