How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: using a tourist menu which has inflated prices.
- Version 2: claiming that bread and water are free but still charging them.
- Version 3: charging or serving food that was not ordered.
- Version 4: advertising a cheap price then claiming that is wrong/outdated.
Places to beware:
- Agadir: Agadir Fishing Port
- Essaouira: Essaouira Fishing Port
- Fes: Medina of Fez, Bab Boujloud
- Marrakech: Jemaa El-Fnaa, Medina of Marrakesh
- Tangier: Medina of Tangier
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like Zomato) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform) has a couple of food tours.