How it works:
- Version 1: at souks, touts offer you a leather belt for only 15. When you try to pay with 15 dirhams, you will be told that it is 15 Euros/USD (~10x more).
- Version 2: a cheap price is advertised to draw you in, only for additional fees to be added to inflate the price when you are ready to pay.
- Version 3: returning you defaced or foreign coins of lower value as change. For instance, a money changer passing off 5 dirhams as 2 Euros.
- Version 4: shortchanging you.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Clarify the currency and any additional fees before paying.
- Deal with reputable vendors/shops, never pay until service/product is fully delivered and check your change.