How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Agadir: Souk El Had d’Agadir, Agadir Beach, Seafront promenade, Agadir Kasbah
- Casablanca: Phare d’el Hank, New Medina of Casablanca
- Chefchaouen: Chefchaouen Medina
- Essaouira: Medina of Essaouira, Essaouira Fishing Port, Le Souk
- Fes: Medina of Fez, Bab Boujloud, Chouara Tannery, Moulay Abdellah Quarter
- Marrakech: Jardin Majorelle, Medina of Marrakesh, Marrakech Souk, Jemaa el-Fnaa, Moroccan Active Adventures, Marrakech Train Station, Boucharouite Museum
- Rabat: Medina of Rabat
- Tangier: Hercules Cave, Medina of Tangier, Tangier Casbah, Petit Socco
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.