How it works:
- Version 1: scammer claims that taking photos is not allowed and “fines” you for it.
- Version 2: a stranger puts an item in your hand. When you try to return it, he will accuse you of robbing him. Next, a fake policeman walks by. You will be asked to pay a compensation fee.
- Version 3: scammer poses as a fake traffic police officer and asks to check your license and valuables. Once you hand them over, he escapes.
Places to beware:
- Casablanca: Hassan II mosque
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport - only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.