How it works:
- A corrupt traffic police officer stops and accuses you of a traffic offence you may or may not have committed.
- He then claims that if you pay now, you only have to pay half the fine. No receipt will be provided.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.