How it works:
- Version 1: rogue operators promise you a low fare at the start to lure you in, only to ask for additional payment in the middle of trip or while bringing you somewhere far from the city.
- Version 2: overcharging you by more than 10x in the first place.
Places to beware:
- Essaouira: Essaouira Beach
What to do:
- Offline operators: ask - is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover - is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has some such camel/horse riding tours.
- Paying: avoid paying in full upfront (unless reputable operator) or off the (online) platform.
- During the tour: identify the route back so you will not be stranded, ask to get down before you start negotiating.