How it works:
- Version 1: at certain squares, you will see locals carrying animals such as snakes, monkeys or baby goats. Once you walk pass, they place the animal on you and pressure you to take a photo. Next, they ask for an inflated fee while holding your camera hostage.
- Version 2: if you take a photo of them, payment will be demanded too.
- Version 3: besides animals, scammers also pose in traditional Moroccan costumes, as traditional water sellers and as performing dancers.
Places to beware:
- Agadir: Agadir Kasbah, Agadir Oufella Ruins
- Casablanca: Square of Mohammed V, Old Medina of Casablanca
- Fes: Medina of Fez
- Marrakech: Jemaa El-Fnaa, Medina of Marrakesh, Marrakech Souk
- Tangier: Medina of Tangier, Tangier Casbah
What to do:
- Avoid. If you want to take a photo, agree on a fee first and get your friend to take for you.