How it works:
- Version 1: there are unofficial guides at tourist attractions who will latch on to you, provide unsolicited tips and then demand an inflated tip.
- Version 2: your driver brings you to a remote part of the attraction where only a guide he is in cahoots with is stationed.
Places to beware:
- Plaines Wilhems: Tamarind Falls (Curepipe)
What to do:
- There may be good unofficial guides – test for a minute before committing. In general however, they are not worth it. Get a licensed, reputable guide instead:
- Offline operators: ask - is the operator licensed? Is there a website, office and working phone number? Are there real online reviews? What does the price cover - is it too cheap?
- Online platforms: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform globally) also has many popular tours (e.g. Wild South West tour, cruise to Ile aux cerfs, Black River speedboat tour, etc).