How it works:
- Version 1: taxis here are un-metered and may charge you an inflated flat fare.
- Version 2: driver claims that your destination is closed or not good, and suggests somewhere else where he gets a commission.
- Version 3: some work in cahoots with unofficial tour guides at tourist attractions. For instance, they will drop you at a secluded spot of the attraction with a guide waiting there.
- Version 4: claiming not to have enough change.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. airport, tourist attractions, hotels)
What to do:
- Avoid: taxis at tourist spots.
- Photo: take a photo of the taxi number and driver’s license.
- Overcharging: research a fair price to negotiate with – check online fare estimators or with your hotel/hostel staff.
- Others: check opening hours and see for yourself if a place is really closed. Avoid unofficial guides as they are usually not worth the time or money.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has 5 transport options.