How it works:
- Bike/moped: riding past with a pillion rider doing the snatch.
- Street, mall, shop, parks: distracting and snatching from you, then escaping via a getaway car or down a street corner.
- Beach: stealing unattended bags/valuables from tourists who are relaxed or in the water.
- ATM: snatching after cash is dispensed from the machine.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (hotspots – e.g. downtown Port Louis, coastal tourist centres of Grand Baie, Pereybere and Flic en Flac, especially at night)
- Check out other hotspots of violent crime
What to do:
- Valuables: avoid laying out on tables or carrying in your hands while walking.
- Bags: consider using lockable bags that can be locked to another object and cross body anti-theft bags (difficult to snatch).
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).