How it works:
- Scam 1: a bunch of handmade signs will lead you to a river to cross to get to the path to the falls. A coconut seller will pressure you to buy overpriced coconuts in exchange for helping you cross the river.
- Scam 2: locals will charge you for taking a photo or for swimming in the water when it is free.
- Scam 3: many reports of car break-ins in the area.
Places to beware:
- Savanne: Rochester Falls (Souillac)
What to do:
- There is a much safer and easier path to use and there is no need to pay the local touts.
- Do not leave valuables exposed in your car – small valuables in a money belt or hidden pouch; large valuables in an anti-theft bag with you or hidden in the boot.