How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Flacq: Marche de Flacq
- Pamplemousses: Pereybere Beach (Grand Baie)
- Port Louis: Le Caudan Waterfront, Central Market, The Crown Lodge, Port Louis Race track, China Town
- Riviere Noire: Flic en Flac
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft (e.g. World Nomads, trusted by Lonely Planet and National Geographic – review).