How it works:
- Version 1: some market stalls peddle counterfeits (e.g. cashmere, clothes, handbags) imported from overseas and try to pass them off as the original.
- Version 2: some factory outlet stores engage in the same practice.
- Version 3: some also engage in product swapping – while you are distracted, they swap your item to a fake or an item of lower quality, wrap it up and then pass it to you.
Places to beware:
- Pamplemousses: Grand Baie Bazaar
- Port Louis: Central Market
What to do:
- Learn how to separate the wheat from the chaff, or only visit licensed, reputable shops. If a price is too good to be true, it is.
- Always check your item after purchase, especially if it’s wrapped up.