How it works:
- Someone calls you about having sent you some money by mistake through the Safaricom mobile transfer system M-PESA.
- They then ask you to check your messages where you will discover a message like this one: “MCG8AU052I Confirmed. You have received Ksh5,850.00 from SYLVESTER ***** 0717****** on 16/3/18. New M-PESA balance is Ksh (LOCKED).Pay bills via M-PESA.”.
- The scammer hopes to get you “convinced” enough to send back the money you received by mistake while the truth is that you actually received nothing.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- A real money transfer message only comes from the official Safaricom telephone number and never a private number or private individual.
- The (Locked) insert should alert you instantly that it is a scam because a genuine money transfer should tell you the new balance in your M-PESA account.
- Forward suspicious messages to “333” for further action by Safaricom.