How it works:
- Traffic police: a corrupt officer accuses you of speeding (note that speed limits are not shown here). If you refuse to pay a bribe, your car keys will be confiscated. Even locals (e.g. Matatu drivers) are not spared.
- Street police: at Lamu for instance, “beach boys” may plant drugs on you and these corrupt officers will then intercept you and fine you.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Follow all laws: e.g. wear helmet, keep to speed limit, have a driving license.
- Tactics (make yourself difficult): buy time by pretending not to understand the local language, be creative and talk nonsense back, ask for a receipt, to pay at a police station, etc.
- Negotiate: if those fail, negotiate the bribe.