How it works:
- Along the coast in Mombasa, you will almost definitely encounter beach boys. Some are friendly and will do a great job helping you, some are on drugs, some (in groups of 10-15) will hassle you to no end and some will aim to scam or steal from you.
- Potential scams include trying to sell you overpriced or non-existent safari tours, much overpriced coconuts and souvenir, stealing your stuff on the beach, romance scams with older white women targeted, etc. Some even trick you to let them into your room and then rob you.
- In the past, beach boys have even being accused of sexually harassing visitors while on the pretext of teaching them how to swim in the sea.
Places to beware:
- Malindi: Watamu Beach, Kikambala Beach
- Mombasa: Diani Beach, Jomo Kenyatta beach, Nyali Beach, Bamburi Beach
What to do:
- Decline firmly.