How it works:
- Most food places are fine, it’s generally just a few bad eggs around touristy areas that spoil it for the rest.
- Version 1: street touts show you a menu with pricing in Arabic so you are unable to tell the cost. Once in, the menu is switched to a tourist menu which is more expensive.
- Version 2: given a menu without prices then overcharging you by a few times.
Places to beware:
- Cairo: Khan Al-Khalili
- Sharm El Sheikh: Old Market, Biom Bom Café
What to do:
- Choose: reputable places (use food review apps like elmenus) and avoid those promoted by touts.
- Check: menu (prices, fine print), itemized bill, and do not eat what was not ordered.
- Alternative: GetYourGuide (leading day tours platform globally) has some food tours.