How it works:
- Version 1: they claim that the attraction is closed as now is the praying hour. However, they can bring you to a nice restaurant or a government licensed souvenir shop to pass time.
- Version 2: they claim that there is a protest ahead/you are going the wrong way. They offer to bring you the right way for a tip, or may send you to a shop where they get a commission.
- Version 3: they suggest using a cab, camel or caleche ride, and introduce you to their accomplice who will overcharge you.
- Version 4: they claim that your hotel is flooded and recommend somewhere where they get a commission.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. taxi drivers, street touts; Cairo: Egyptian Antiquities Museum; Giza: The Grand Egyptian Museum)
What to do:
- Research opening hours and see for yourself if a place is really closed.