How it works:
- They work in a gang – one onlooker, one blocks, pushes, distracts, or engages you, one grabs and the final hides the loot under a cover (e.g. jacket/newspaper) and escapes.
Places to beware:
- Alexandria: Fort Qaitbey
- Cairo: Egyptian Antiquities Museum, Saqqara (Sakkara) Pyramids, Nile River, Gizeh Plateau, Khan Al-Khalili, Hanging Church (El Muallaqa, Sitt Mariam, St Mary), Mosque of Al-Azhar, Khafre, Mosque of Al-Azhar
- Giza: Pyramids of Giza, Great Sphinx, The Grand Egyptian Museum, Great Pyramid of Cheops (Khufu)
- Luxor: Temple of Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Luxor Temple
What to do:
- Passport: carry a photocopy instead of the actual one.
- Valuables: wallet in front pocket, small valuables in a money belt/hidden pouch, large valuables in an anti-theft bag.
- Travel insurance: get a good one that covers theft – check out the various travel insurance comparison platforms to find the best deal that works for you.