How it works:
- Situation: a common scam is the appearance of a helpful stranger who helps you with a difficult situation, then brings you to a shop where he gets a cut.
- Opening: a hotspot is outside the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, where it is difficult to cross the road in front of the main building.
- Set-up: a helper guides you across, then offers to take you to a shop he claims sells cheap products. There, you will be served tea and pressured to buy products at inflated prices.
Places to beware:
- Cairo: Egyptian Museum
- Sharm El Sheikh: Na,ama Bay
What to do:
- Be wary if someone follows you on the streets or is very pushy about bringing you to a shop.