How it works:
- Opening: a scammer posing as a local invites you to his house for tea.
- Set-up: on the way, fake officers appear and accuse you both of being up to some illegal activities. They beat the local up and demand to search your bags. As they do so, they steal whatever they can find.
Places to beware:
What to do:
- Be skeptical: if you have not broken the law.
- Three steps: verify badges and threaten to call the police hotline. Never give your passport - only show a photocopy. Insist you will only comply at a police station with a lawyer or someone from your embassy.
- Valuables: hide in a money belt/hidden pouch and use a cheap spare wallet with little cash which can be given up.