How it works:
- Situation: there are two types of Egyptian currencies – pounds (1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100) and piastres (25, 50). A piastre is 1/100 of a pound.
- Version 1: cashier/driver passes you 50 piastres (~USD 0.1) as change when they should have given you 50 Egyptian pounds (~USD 10).
- Version 2: you hand 50 Egyptian pounds over, cashier/driver swap it with a 50 piastres note and asks you to top up the shortfall.
Places to beware:
- Anywhere (e.g. shops, taxis, restaurants)
What to do:
- You can say out loud what you are handing over and watch how your notes are handled.