How it works:
- Version 1: driver furnishes an “official” looking price list and asks where you are going. They then point to a more expensive route, hoping to exploit your unfamiliarity with street names.
- Version 2: they charge you the airport toll (~10 Egyptian pounds) which you do not have to pay! This should be paid by the cab company, not you.
Places to beware:
- Cairo: Cairo International Airport
What to do:
- Avoid: engaging the first tout who approaches you. The more aggressive, the more likely they overcharge.
- Read: the price list carefully and also have a rough idea of how much your route should cost.
- Alternatively, GetYourGuide (leading day tour platform) has 10+ transport options.